Canada-Ontario Job Grant
Train Your Employees for 1/3 the Cost with the Canada-Ontario Job Grant
Are you an employer trying to fill a potential job vacancy or develop the current skillset of your workforce? If so, the Canada-Ontario Job Grant (COJG), along with the Canadian Career Academy Employment Resource Center, is available to help you resolve skill shortages and maximize your investment in skills training!
The Canada-Ontario Job Grant provides training subsidies to businesses to help them hire and retain top employees that meet the necessary skill requirements of their organization.
How does it benefit Employers?
This funding will provide employers with the opportunity to invest in the skill development of their current and future workforce, leading to increases in organizational productivity and retention. Learn more about the Canada-Ontario Job Grant.
This limited-time grant is available to small, medium and large businesses with a plan to deliver short-term training to existing and new employees.
About The Canada-Ontario Job Grant (2017/2018 Update):
- Covers up to two-thirds of third-party training costs to a maximum of $10,000 per trainee, employers with fewer than 50 employees will be able to receive up to 100-per-cent funding for unemployed individuals they will be hiring and training, up to a maximum of $15,000 in grants for each new hire toward the training costs included in the funding application. This additional funding will help offset the orientation costs of bringing on a new employee.
- The program will support training-related costs such as textbooks, software and other training materials, these costs will now be capped at a maximum of $500 in funding per trainee. Travel will also be capped at $500 in funding per trainee and only supported if the required distance travelled is more than 24 kilometres each way.
- Requires training to be delivered by an eligible, third party trainer such as a community college. The Canadian Career Academy Resource Center recommends the Algonquin College - Perth Campus
Visit the Canada - Ontario Job Grant website:CLICK HERE
- Employ the individual selected for training
- Be licensed to operate in Ontario
- Be applying for training that is delivered in Ontario and is related to a job that is also located in Ontario
- Comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Employment Standards Act
- Maintain appropriate Workplace Safety and Insurance Board or private workplace safety insurance coverage
- Have adequate third party general liability insurance as advised by its insurance broker
- Comply with all applicable federal and provincial human rights legislation, regulations, and any other relevant standards.
- Contribute a minimum of 1/3 of eligible training costs in cash (unless they are a small/medium employer with 50 or less employees)
An employer cannot :
- Be a federal, provincial or municipal government and/or agency
- Be a broader public sector organization, as per the Broader Public Sector Accountability Act
- Be a Canada‐Ontario Job Grant service provider
- Be currently in receipt of other government funds related to the same skills training for the same individual (e.g., Employment Service or Youth Employment Fund Job Placements or other training nterventions such as Second Career)
- Use training participants to displace existing staff or replace staff who are on lay‐off.
Program Eligibility for Individual:
All people who are residents of Ontario and either a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or protected person and meet the eligibility requirements below are eligible to participate in training funded through the Canada Ontario Job Grant
- Employed individuals must be identified by their employer.
- Unemployed individuals must also be sponsored by an employer, demonstrated through a permanent or conditional offer of employment.
- An individual must not be participating in full‐time training or education or any other government training intervention that offers funding support for the same tuition, books or other training related costs.
- Download and Save the Application Form from the Ontario Job Fund website above.
- Complete Application Form
- Submit Application Form
- Select Service Provider
- Complete Application Submission
For Assistance in Preparing Your Application: You must apply through your organization, but our Corporate Learning staff can help provide course rationale for your application. Please contact us at 613-257-3237 to discuss your learning goals and your application.